Maryland and DC Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect Attorneys
Although often unavoidable, choosing to leave those we love in the care of others is one of the hardest decisions we ever face. We trust nursing homes to provide our loved ones with the attention and care they no longer can provide for themselves. When they fail to do so, the emotional toll can be overwhelming. At Costello & Edwards, LLC, we understand your frustration and hurt and provide empathetic guidance as well as vigorous advocacy to those who have been victims of nursing home abuse and neglect.
Nursing Home Claims
Most nursing home cases fall into one of the following categories:
- Abuse: Nursing home abuse occurs when a resident is intentionally victimized. Abuse can be physical, emotional, financial, or sexual. Assault, battery, and sexual abuse are all examples of the intentional infliction of harm upon a nursing home resident.
- Neglect: Nursing home neglect involves the failure to attend to a patient’s basic needs. Inadequate food or drink, unsanitary living conditions, and failing to address medical issues are all examples of neglect that can and often do lead to serious harm such as malnutrition, dehydration, bedsores, and falls.
- Medical Malpractice: Medical malpractice occurs when a health care professional treats a patient in a negligent manner resulting in harm to the patient. Common examples of medical malpractice in nursing homes include failing to provide timely treatment and medication errors.
Sadly, it is common for nursing home patients to be victims of multiple types of abuse. Furthermore, victims are often reluctant to come forward due to fear, embarrassment, and/or shame.
How to Identify Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect
Signs that your loved one has been the victim of neglect or abuse while residing in a nursing home include:
- Sudden unexplained weight loss
- Unexplained injuries
- Malnutrition and dehydration
- Frequent falls
- Changes in appearance
- Emotional distress
- Missing money
- Unsanitary living conditions
- Dirty clothes
- Wandering from the facility
Speak With Our Knowledgeable Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect Attorneys
If you or a loved one has been the victim of nursing home abuse or negligence, contact the attorneys at Costello & Edwards today for a free consultation to discuss your options. We are ready to provide you with skilled guidance and exceptional representation.